IHF is looking for forward-thinking, dynamic individuals of all ages/backgrounds to contribute to our international centers as part of our Voluntourist program. Our foundation has five centers across Indonesia, Kenya and Thailand and is run entirely by volunteers just like you, who have made commitments ranging from two weeks to multiple years.|
Who are we?
IHF is a non-religious, non-political, non-profit organization that strongly believes in an equal opportunity for all and in preserving the cultures, traditions and beliefs of the marginalized communities it works in. We are a grassroots, all-volunteer organization with no central office.
A lot of NGO’s offer volunteering, but the cost for staying at their facilities is huge. What about the costs for being a volunteer at IHF?
We provide basic accommodation and food at our centers, where you will live with your co-workers. Even if our foundation is run entirely by volunteers just like you, we still manage to provide you these amenities for only:
● $150 per week, for an individual person;
● $200 per week, for married couples sharing a double bed (subjected to availability at the centers);
● $75 per week for children under the 16 coming with their families.
You will be responsible for your travel, visa, insurance or any other related costs and you can count on our teams to help you out with your travel and visa planning. We will also do our best to comply with guidelines to secure any grant or scholarship funding available at your university.
Our Kenya center in Nakuru is a home to provide basic needs such as a home, food, and access to education for approximately 40 children who would otherwise go without. We have just begun planting this year’s crop in our Peace Farm and will begin harvesting in September. Nakuru is a friendly little town on the edge of Lake Nakuru and is home some of Africa’s most exciting and diverse wildlife.
In Indonesia, we have three educational centers in Bali, Jakarta and Medan. All Indonesia centers host free English, math and computer classes to provide low-income students with the opportunity to compete with wealthier students for scholarships and jobs. The centers also host special workshops every week to expose students to a wide variety of subjects and to instill a general love of learning in them.
Our center in Thailand is a home for five older children from a nearby hill tribe. Teenagers from this marginalized community come to our center for a stable home and the chance for an education.
Why join us?
At all centers:
● By both volunteering and sightseeing, you will have a unique experience, and you will leave our center with a better understanding of your surroundings and IHF as an organization.
● As a Voluntourist, you would gain hands-on experience with an international not-for-profit NGO at the ground level and contribute your time and talents to substantially helping provide better opportunities for young people.
● You are asked to complete four hours of at-center work a day, six days a week (Monday to Saturday morning). These tasks vary from center to center, day to day. At our Indonesian education centers, you will teach English to young students for whom English is a tool to secure better jobs in the future. In our children’s home in Kenya, daily tasks will include assisting with homework and organizing projects and activities for the children once they are back from the schools. The rest of the day and weekend you have free time to explore and sightseeing.
● You will be supervised and guided by long-term volunteer co-Directors at your center, who will listen to your ideas and work with you on a daily basis.
This is an ideal opportunity to gain first-hand experience in international development, but still have time to explore a new place and culture. In Indonesia, our centers offer unique insights into Balinese Hinduism, the busy capital of Jakarta, or the beautiful and wild Sumatra where Aceh and Medan centers are based. Our Kenya center is close to numerous wildlife parks and safaris, while our Thailand center is near incredible temples, waterfalls and scenery. You will have plenty of time to visit these incredible settings, but work will remain your priority.
What you’ll need for this position?
● Basic written and spoken English.
● We value volunteers who are creative and innovative, willing to take responsibility and easily adapt to new conditions and unexpected situations.
● Our candidates are willing to make a commitment of minimum 1 week.
● Minimum age requirement is 16 years old (if under 18 – with parent’s permission only).
Each IHF center is a product of its environment and follows the cultural code and norms of its host country. That’s why you will need to swing in evolving and adapting and be the proud owner of a high intercultural sensitivity by showing your tolerance and respect to different views and ways of life.
Interested? What are you waiting for then?
Let’s get to know each other!
Give us the chance to get to know you by applying through our website at the following link: http://www.ihfonline.org/volunteer-application
It is ok to contact this poster with commercial interests.